CMSS and the Zentrum Für Militärgeschichte Und Sozialwissenschaften Der Bundeswehr, Germany, are cosponsoring a major conference on Vimy Ridge for April 20-22, 2017, to mark the 100th anniversary of the battle of Vimy Ridge.
It has often been claimed that the Battle of Vimy Ridge in April 1917 was not only Canada's greatest feat of arms, but marked its birth as a nation. The sessions will examine the battle and the myth - from both sides of the ridge - by exploring the following themes:
- The winter of learning - Canadian and British military preparations for 1917
- The winter of learning - German military preparations for 1917
- The learning applied - Vimy Ridge and the First Battle of Arras
- The learning applied - the Germans at Vimy Ridge
- The war at home - Canada, 1917
- The meaning of Vimy Ridge for Canadians - myth and memory
- The meaning of Vimy Ridge for others - a German perspective
Sponsored by the Centre for Military, Security and Strategic Studies and the Zentrum für Militärgeschichte und Sozialwissenschaften der Bundeswehr.
For more information on the conference, please visit vimyconference.ca