The Navy: A Century in Art marks the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Canadian navy. A selection of paintings, from many of Canada's leading war artists, demonstrates how geography, history and war have shaped the navy through its first century of service.
MSS Student Jennifer Worboys attended
On the 27 March 2010, the Executive Directors' breakfast and exhibition opening was hosted at The Military Museums. Dr. Mark O'Neil the Director General of the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa was in attendance. Tom Doucette, Executive Director of The Military Museums, and Dr. O'Neil signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the continuation of collaboration until 2015. Dr. O'Neil received a ‘White Hat' as a sign of Western Hospitality becoming an honorary citizen of the City of Calgary.
The Founders' Gallery will have a vast array of travelling exhibitions that will be open to viewing over the coming months:
1 April - 22 August 2010
- Tanks and Tartan, The Calgary Highlanders' Regimental Museum & The King's Own Calgary Regiment Museum Centennial Exhibition
1 July - 22 August 2010
- Prairie Boys at Sea - 100 Years of Alberta's Navy
- The First Maple Leaf Flag
11 September 2010 - January 2011
- War Art Now: Canadian Forces Artists Program - Artist Dick Averns
- Afghanistan: Soldiers and War Rugs
You can contact The Military Museums by going onto their website at www.themilitarymuseums.ca
or by phone at 403-974-2884 for more information.